August 03, 2019
You know we love to work out different variations of salads over the summer that incorporate honey into the recipe, and this one is perfect for BBQs as well as something that can be made beforehand and tossed into the fridge for a quick snack when the mood strikes you. It can be served either warm or cold, so it is literally the perfect summer dish!
To get started, you are going to have to make a Honey-Chipotle Vinaigrette.
- 1/2c red wine vinegar
- 1/4c mayo
- 2T raw honey
- 2T chipotle peppers
- 1T Dijon mustard
- 1t dried Italian spices
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4c olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
To make the vinaigrette:
- In a food processor, combine vinegar, mayo, honey, chipotle peppers, mustard, seasonings, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Turn on food processor and slowly drizzle olive oil until all ingredients are completely emulsified.
- Taste dressing and adjust with more peppers, salt, and pepper as desired.
Pasta salad ingredients:
- 1-pound ditalini pasta
- 1 rotisserie chicken (shredded) (click here for best way to shred chicken)
- 1-pint halved cherry tomatoes
- 1c sliced and drained banana peppers
- 1 avocado (thinly sliced)
- 1T minced chives
- Honey-chipotle dressing from above recipe
- Salt and cracked pepper
To make salad:
- In a large pot, bring salted water to boil.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente (timing directions will be on the box).
- When pasta is done, drain, and move to large mixing bowl.
- Add vinaigrette and toss until all pasta is covered.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, and banana peppers, then toss to combine all ingredients.
- Transfer to serving dish or individual bowls, garnish with avocado slices, and serve.
Now, as we stated, this can be refrigerated and served at a later date if you like. If that is going to be the case, we would recommend holding off on the avocados until you are ready to serve. If you want to add a little extra flavor and heat, a couple of splashes of hot sauce will do the job. Tabanero hot sauce is very good in this particular recipe, as it uses agave, which will blend perfectly with this recipe.