September 23, 2017
If there ever comes a time when people are suddenly burdened by hunger pangs they must take care of as soon as possible, there is nothing more reliable than a grilled cheese sandwich. Whether you take it plain or add fixings like ham or tomato, it’s hard to beat this sandwich when you’re in a pinch. However, for those occasions when you can take your time to create something new and different – and full of flavor – this recipe for honey-sweetened brioche grilled cheese sandwiches is a great place to start! Infusing rosemary with Manuka honey and fitting the taste of bacon in there as well, these sandwiches pack a flavor punch that simply can’t be beat. To get these sandwiches into your life ASAP, check out the recipe below!
Ingredients for Brioche Grilled Cheese
Manuka Honey Bacon Jam:
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 2 pieces of diced bacon
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Manuka honey
Rosemary-Infused Manuka Honey:
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1/4 cup of Manuka honey
Brioche Grilled Cheese:
- 4 slices of brioche bread
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of Manuka honey bacon jam (made previously)
- 1/4 cup of rosemary-infused Manuka honey (made previously)
- 1/4 lb. of sliced Taleggio cheese
Directions for Brioche Grilled Cheese
- Manuka Honey Bacon Jam: Using a large sauté pan, melt the butter and spread it around your pan, and then add the bacon and onions over low-medium heat. For about 15 minutes, cook your bacon and onions, stirring every now and then until they have caramelized.
- Add the black pepper and Manuka honey, cooking for another 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, allowing the contents to cool before continuing. Puree in a food processor until smooth, reserving later for your sandwiches.
- Rosemary-Infused Manuka Honey: Using a smaller sauce pan, heat the rosemary and the Manuka honey for about 2 minutes before removing from the heat. Allow the flavors to fully infuse, which should take around 10 minutes, before transferring to a smaller bowl and reserving for your sandwiches.
- Brioche Grilled Cheese: On one side for each slice of brioche bread, spread an even layer of butter. Layer on the Taleggio cheese as well as 1 tablespoon of Manuka honey bacon jam onto 2 pieces before topping with the second piece.
- Heat a skillet or pan, and then, over lower heat, sear the sandwiches until the brioche has browned and the cheese has melted. Flip and repeat on the other side. Slice the sandwiches in half on diagonals (for dipping) before serving with the rosemary-infused Manuka honey.
- Enjoy your honey-sweetened brioche grilled cheese sandwiches!
Copyright: msheldrake / 123RF Stock Photo