January 05, 2016
Candy Corn Isn’t Just for Halloween Anymore!
When we think of “candy corn” we often have images of white, yellow, and orange candy that is generally available during the Halloween and fall seasons. But, have you ever considered “candying” the yellow, starchy corn that comes off the cob? This type of candied corn can be enjoyed all year round and is a delicious recipe that will have children loving eating their vegetables. The best part? This candied corn doesn’t use a lot of processed sugar – it is also sweetened using Blue Borage honey!
Ingredients for Blue Borage Candied Corn
- 6 ears of corn
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. shallots (diced)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Blue Borage honey
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
Directions for Blue Borage Candied Corn
- Husk the corn, making sure to clean off all the silk hairs from between the kernels.
- Since the corn under cold water to clean off any leftover silk hairs or debris.
- Remove the corn from the cob, set the corn kernels in a bowl, and set aside.
- In a medium to large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium high heat.
- Once melted and hot, add the diced shallots to the pan and cook until they are translucent.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for an additional one to two minutes.
- Add corn kernels to the hot Sautee pan, mix well with the shallots, and cook until the corn is tender.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of Blue Borage honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Mix ingredients together until well combined.
- Add the honey mixture to the sauté pan, stirring continuously until all of the corn is well coated.
- Continue to cook the corn in the honey mixture until all the ingredients are heated through, making sure to stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Transfer the hot corn and honey mixture to a serving dish and enjoy!
This candied corn recipe isn’t what you expected, is it? Not only does this recipe include natural ingredients and less sugar than one would expect it is also the perfect side dish for a number of different main courses including barbeque, pork, chicken, and even steak! The sweet yet earthly flavor of Blue Borage honey helps to keep the flavor of this dish balanced and something the whole family will love!