Almond Butter Cookies with Manuka Honey
March 21, 2015
Everyone likes cookies, right? But, if you are going to eat cookies, we want you to eat cookies that are relatively healthy. This almond butter cookies recipe will create a tasty treat that has less than 100 calories and a mere five grams of fat. While most recipes will contain a LOT of butter, we have minimalized that and added almonds. In addition, instead of using sugar, you will be using Manuka honey as your sweetener.
• 1 c toasted whole almonds
• 1 c all-purpose flour
• 1 ¼ c of whole-wheat pastry flour
• 1 egg
• 1/3 c canola oil
• 3 T sliced almonds
• 4 T unsalted butter
• Two portions of Manuka honey – 2/3 c and ¼ c
• 1 t vanilla extract
• 1 t baking powder
• ½ t salt
1. Place whole almonds in food processor and ground until they are a fine consistency.
2. Move ground almonds to a large bowl.
3. Add baking powder, flour (both), and salt. Combine ingredients.
4. In electric mixing bowl, combine 2/3 cup of Manuka honey, 3 T butter, and canola oil. Once ingredients are combined, add egg and vanilla. Continue to mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
5. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and then refrigerate the dough for one hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
8. Use a tablespoon or small scoop to create one-inch round balls of the dough.
9. Place dough on baking sheet, about two inches apart from each other.
10. Use your fingertip to press a small indentation into each cookie.
11. Place cookie sheets in oven and bake for 13-15 minutes (bottom of cookies should be a golden color and cookies should appear to be “set”).
12. When cookies are done cooking, remove from oven and place on cooling rack for about 30 minutes.
13. While cookies are cooking, combine 1T of butter and ¼ cup of Manuka honey. Mixture should be creamy.
14. Once cookies are cooled, spoon the mixture into indentation of cookies and top with one or two of the shaved almonds.
Now there is only one thing left to do, eat them! But, don’t overdo it! With each cookie under 100 calories, they make a great snack as long as they are consumed in moderation.
If you need Manuka honey to make this recipe, we have plenty! To get your order started, please click here (and if you want to send us some cookies, we won’t turn them away!).