Crunchy Homemade Manuka Honey Treats for Hamsters
March 12, 2019
When you own small animals as pets, it can be easy to forgo the idea of treats for fear of overfeeding them, and while rabbits get the most warning when it comes to treats, hamsters fall into that category as well. At the same time, moderation is still a factor, and, if you’re careful, your hamster can enjoy treats too, starting with these peanut butter Manuka honey crunches.
Admittedly, mixing peanut butter can be quite the challenge, so you’ll want a pastry blender or a standing mixer on hand to help you along the way to finish the recipe, but beyond that ,all you need is just four key ingredients and some time to kill over the weekend.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Manuka Honey Crunches
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoons of reduced fat, crunchy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of Manuka honey
Directions for Peanut Butter Manuka Honey Crunches
- Before you start, preheat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit on the Bake setting.
- Get a large baking sheet, and you can either grease it, spray it with cooking spray, or line it with parchment paper. Note: You can also try using mini-muffin pans to make these hamster treats, given their ideal size.
- Using a blender (preferably a pastry blender, as peanut butter can be very tough on a typical blender), mix the whole wheat flour, the crunchy peanut butter, the water, and the Manuka honey together until well blended.
- Shape the dough into half-inch balls with your hands and then place them on the baking sheet or mini-muffin pan. Regarding the baking sheet, these treats don’t rise or spread out, so you can place as many balls on one sheet as you can fit without closeness being an issue.
- With the treats ready, bake them for 45 minutes or until the treats develop a light brown color. Leave the treats in your oven until it completely cools down in order to dry the treats out and get them nice and crunchy.
- Remember, it’s pretty easy to overfeed rodents, so be sure your hamster isn’t getting too many of these treats or that you’re substituting your hamster’s regular nutritious feed for treats.
- You can store these honey crunches for up to three weeks in your fridge or up to three months in your freezer.
If you need to order some Manuka honey to make these homemade treats for your pet, click here. And, remember, we offer FREE shipping on all orders of $150 or more.
Photo By NomadSoul1