April 16, 2019
If you’re in need of some new dog biscuits for your pups, you can do no better than this recipe for coconut honey dog biscuits. Made with the best sugar substitute on the market, Manuka honey, this recipe also boasts the use of coconut flour, coconut oil, and coconut water. While the last of these may not exactly be kitchen staples, they’re definitely worth searching for. Coconut water especially has great health benefits for your dog, some of which include the following:
- Fighting viruses and bad bacteria
- Protecting against infection
- Providing beneficial electrolytes
- Supporting heart health
- Supporting healthy digestion
- Helping to balance insulin levels
- Helping to maintain coat shininess
- Fighting bad breath
So, if you think your dogs are ready for something new, let’s get started on those coconut honey dog biscuits:
Ingredients for Coconut Honey Dog Biscuits
- 3cups of brown rice flour
- 1cup of regular water or coconut water
- 1cup of coconut flour
- 2eggs, large
- 2tablespoons of Manuka honey
- 2tablespoons of coconut oil
Directions for Coconut Honey Dog Biscuits
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit on the Bake setting. Line two cookie sheets using parchment paper before setting to the side.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the coconut flour and the brown rice flour. In the middle of your flour mixture, make a well.
- Add the coconut water, the beaten eggs, the Manuka honey, and the coconut oil to the flour. Mix until everything is well combined before kneading for several minutes and a smooth dough has formed.
- Roll your dough out to around a ¼-inch thickness before cutting the dough with cookie cutters of any shape and size (though it would be better if they were a shape and size well suited to your dog’s mouth). Place the biscuits onto your parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake the biscuits in your oven for around 20 minutes or until they develop a light-brown color. Keep a close eye on the biscuits, as everyone's oven is different and may alter your baking time.
- Allow the biscuits time to cool down before you serve them to your pups, and try to avoid serving too many at once or replacing regular meals with treats. You can store these biscuits in your refrigerator for as much as one week or in your freezer for as much as three months.
- Note: When you buy coconut water, make sure to read the bottle label and check that the sole ingredient is just "coconut water."
Photo By jirkaejc